Safari 3 for Windows

Odd Safari Fixed Safari

I read a lot of reviews about Safari’s Window version and most of them is not positive enough. Well it’s expected because the browser is in its beta phase (or alpha maybe). I also encounter some odd problem with it even before exploring the full functions of it (even after patching to 3.01). From the above pictures, on the left is Safari’s fresh installation and on the right after I meddling with some settings (in geeky way to note it). What I do is changing one key property from font.plist files located on “c:\documents and settings\<User Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\Safari”. I change the font from arial key and the value is from linkin.ttf to arial.ttf. Well, to make it clearer, the browser didn’t detect my arial font by default and replacing it with one of many fonts that I already have on my system which happen to be linkin.ttf. I don’t know how this happen but what the hell…it’s beta anyway. But that doesn’t stop me from saying that Apple must work harder or else…Windows users will never turn their attention to Safari again. Just my two cents….

Source: Safari 3 Is An Half-baked Web Browser from Apple, Wait for a Patch

Tags: , , , ,

  • no thanks

    I had the exact same problem with Firefox and Konqueror (web browsers under linux.) I suspect the real problem is neither with Windows nor Safari (konqueror and safari share some code however iirc) but with the linkin font. I imagine the guy who made this font put it in the same family as arial or something like that. Firefox was able to fix by checkmarking the box in the preferences to override the web pages fonts with my own, konqueror has no such setting. Also the flash plugin started using this font as well. The solution is to simply remove the font and consider yourself lucky you found this page.

    To the founder of this font, who probably found this page the same way I did, searching for the linkin.ttf I have one word- FAIL. There was no better way to get your font off my system than to have it register with my system as a member of arial. Hope that helps someone

  • Just when I thought I’m the only one facing the similar problem. But never thought the true culprit is the font though. Thanks for the heads up… :-D